Thursday, June 2, 2011

I have a linksy laptop card and my aunt has a linksy router. I think I did something wrong?

when i was trying to connect to the writer it told me to hold down a button that says linksy and hold it down for ten seconds i did that and it changed her network name and everything how can i change it back before she even knows i need helpI have a linksy laptop card and my aunt has a linksy router. I think I did something wrong?
Several points here.



First, I don't suggest trying to %26quot;fix it before she knows it ever happened%26quot;. You sound like you made a mistake that is understandable and honest. Your aunt should respect you more for owning up to a mistake than trying to hide it. If she's network savvy and you get it to work but it's not right she will know. It's always better to admit mistakes and than try to fix them before someone notices. Even if you do get it fixed you should tell her what happened.



Now, you probably need to know the provider of your internet. It's probably cable or DSL. Any of them will have a tech support number that will be able to help you. The one problem is they may not help you because it isn't your house or account. Defer to admitting and doing what you can to fix it once your aunt gets home.



If you have the software for the Linksys router there is a network wizard on the CD that may be able to detect everything and get the network back up and running. You can try that also.



Most importantly understand you didn't do this on purpose and it is not a destructive mistake. It can be fixed. Maybe not right away but all you did was clear the settings. Once it's all set back up everything will work ok. In the future make sure you read instructions completely as many times as you need to to make sure you understand what you are doing. If you have any questions or don't have confidence, especially in the event you are working with someone elses equipment, wait for the owner, call tech support first, but make sure you know what every step you take does.



Also, this is not a scolding. It's to help you follow better steps next time. Good luck!I have a linksy laptop card and my aunt has a linksy router. I think I did something wrong?
Hopefull there is a backup of the configuration settings. It will be a filename with a .cfg. Try to go into the router configuration screen, select backup/restore, then click restore, hopefully it will point to the last backup. good luck.I have a linksy laptop card and my aunt has a linksy router. I think I did something wrong?
sound to me like you have reset the router to is default

there is no way to change it back.

you will have to reconfiger the router (you will have to know all the setting that she setup on the router before)I have a linksy laptop card and my aunt has a linksy router. I think I did something wrong?
You have now wiped out all her settings. You now need to set up EVERYTHING again, form the ISP user name and password, through the channel, SSID to the encryption key. Always read the manual properly and thouroughly before you start.