Thursday, September 22, 2011

Computer Name+ port forwarding confusion?

There are three connections from me to my gateway. First is the stock wireless network adapter, then is the bluetooth network adapter, the lastly is the LAN connection. I use the LAN connection. When I port forward, three computers show up in the %26quot;select a computer%26quot; drop down box. They are all listed the same as my name. I do not want to port forward three times, so I need to know how to change the name of my LAN connection so that I can find the correct PC on the drop-down box.Computer Name+ port forwarding confusion?
I'm guessing you are using a router made by 2-wire? Sounds about how they work. You should also see, near your computer name in port forwarding, a set of numbers. (00-25-d5-12-dc-1a). If you do, that is your MAC address for each wireless adapter. To find the one for your LAN connection:

Find your LAN IP address

Go to Start | Run and type cmd

Then type: ping %26quot;ipaddress%26quot; where %26quot;ipaddress%26quot; is the IP you got earlier

After the ping, type arp -a

In the table it returns you should see your IP next to your MAC.



If this doesn't work, go to Start | Control Panel | Network Connections

Disable both your wireless and bluetooth connections by right clicking and choosing %26quot;Disable%26quot;

Then in your router you should only see your LAN connection

When done port forwarding, go back to Network Connections and enable wireless and bluetooth.