Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I change my computer's name?

The name that comes up for it when I connect to networks and such? I want to change it. The one I made when I got it is really lame. Is it possible? How do I do it? I have vista...How can I change my computer%26039;s name?
Well if you mean the actual name of the computer as seen by the network



Right click on my computer choose properties from the drop down menu. That brings up the general tab. Click on the computer name tab and click on the change button.



If you mean change the name that the XP is registered to. Go to start click on run, type in regedit



navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi?NT\CurrentVersion



find the registeredowner on the right, click on it and type in the name you want. Close up, reboot.How can I change my computer%26039;s name?
For XP, right click My Computer and choose Properties. Click the %26quot;Computer Name%26quot; tab and change the %26quot;computer description%26quot; to what ever you want. You may need to change the name in your network too.



For Vista, right click Computer and then choose Properties. In the %26quot;View basic info%26quot; window, click %26quot;Change Settings%26quot;. Now, once again, change the %26quot;Computer description%26quot; to what ever you like.