Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Home networking help (transfer files)?

I followed the step by step procedures given in the internet regarding home networking (changing computer name, same workgroup etc). So I guess I already created a network between my desktop and laptop. What I want to do now is transfer some of my files from the desktop to the laptop. So I also did the Sharing and Security procedure. They say the folder would appear in the network connections, but I couldn't seem to find it.



1. How would I know if I really have a network between my computers?

2. How can I share files?



Please help. Im not a techie. :/Home networking help (transfer files)?
If the machines go through wireless or a switch you should be ok. If they connect direct you need the cross-over cable. If you go to start/run on the pc you want the files from and type cmd and enter, then type in ipconfig you will see the IP address of this machine. Go to the other machine, open a folder (my computer) and type in the address bar \\the.ip.i.saw and go. This should display you shared files. If this works go to properties of the network connection then tcp/ip advanced properties and then the wins tab. Click always use netbios over tcp/ip. Essential for small network browsing, so defaulted by MS to switching off when it sees the router dhcp? You should then see the machine by name in your network places.Home networking help (transfer files)?
Are the computers physically connected or do you have a wireless hub? You don't say. The easiest way would be to go to a computer store and ask for a 'crossover cable'. Plug the ends into your PCs and off you go.Home networking help (transfer files)?
good lord , she said one was connected regualr one was wireless , and she put them in a work group , pay attention for christ sakes ,



also , since when is using a cross over cable just as simple as plugging the thing in , did you not forget that both nic cards need to be set to a private IP so the can communicate with each other ?



ok now to answer the question at hand



when you say you created a workgroup , did you put both the laptop and main pc in the same work group ?



since one is wireless did you change the security settings in the routers Nat firewall



hope this helps , if not post here again , will check backHome networking help (transfer files)?
do this

to change desk top computers ip as 192.168.0.1

and change the lap top ip as 192.168.0.2



then restart ur pc .

do

start- run - ping192.168.0.2 ur computer try connect network





r u know how to change ip ( internet protocol (tcp/ip)



if not know mail to me........... ok bye