Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I change my SSID?

Hi, I have Cisco Network Magic and my SSID name is Linksys. How do I change it? It probably happened because during setup, when I was about to do the password, it exited out and my user/pass that I set up is deleted I guessed and named into Linksys. No password (I just made one) so I was wondering how do I change my dull name? (Cisco Network Magic)How do I change my SSID?
I'd go into the router's administration pages and find and change the SSID from there. Linksys routers usually use 192.168.1.1 as the local IP address, so try that first. If it doesn't work, do this to find it:



1. Click on the Start-%26gt;Run button.

2. In the text box, type



cmd



and press Enter.



3. A black %26quot;DOS box%26quot; will pop up. In it, enter



ipconfig /all



A bunch of gibberish will fill the box. Next to %26quot;Default Gateway%26quot; an IP address will appear. This is your router's IP address.



To get to the admin pages, enter the IP address in any browser's Address window. Do this from a computer cabled to the router (in fact, it's a good idea to turn OFF wireless access to the admin pages, for security reasons).



Hope that helps.