Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can i 'see' my XP desktop computer on my laptop running Windows 7?

I have configured both computers so that they have the same network name but unique computer names. I have changed my network choice to WORKGROUP instead of HOMEGROUP. My ultimate aim is to be able to print off my laptop. My desktop computer is running XP SP3, my laptop running Windows 7 (x64). Can anyone help?How can i %26039;see%26039; my XP desktop computer on my laptop running Windows 7?
try using file and printer sharing configuration.

or access your desktop via remote access solution.How can i %26039;see%26039; my XP desktop computer on my laptop running Windows 7?
Find the ipaddress or sharename of your XP computer. From your Windows 7 computer, add printer from devices and printer section from start menu. In add printer window, click on add network printer, that will search throughout your network to see if you have any printer connected. Make sure your XP computer and printer is switched on and the network is accessible.



To learn more: go to www.ehow.com and type 'How to add a network printer?'How can i %26039;see%26039; my XP desktop computer on my laptop running Windows 7?
First they must be in the same WORKGROUP.



Second you must SHARE files on both computers.



Then it will work.How can i %26039;see%26039; my XP desktop computer on my laptop running Windows 7?
is the printer is attached to your laptop or the desktop? it should just be a simple matter of adding the printer on has a network printer that's attached to another computer. but the way you're wording the question makes it sound like you're unable to see them on the same network. Try changing the workgroup name to something more unique or have you been trying to connect by using the computer names try connecting using the IP address...are you able to connect to their shared devices for instance if you open the run box and type in \\(the ipaddress of the computer your trying to connect to) and press enter. You may get asked for your password depending on your settings but it should open up your network folders that are on the other machine. your printer if shared out should be in that list along with any other device you have set to share. Windows 7 is extremly good with intergrated networks so you shouldn't have any trouble seeing the other machine so double check your workgroup name! also you can do something like on the xp machine if you go to my computer up at the top click tools then click add network device a small window will open asking what drive letter you want to assign it and what the path to the device is. if you click browse it will open another box and show you a list of work groups and network devices you can connect to...also check your folder options, go to the conrol panel click folder options then on the second tab which is labled then make sure the check box to automaticall detect network folders and printers is checked that might help too. hope some of this helped.