Sunday, November 21, 2010

Change network file names??

I have a home network and access files off my desktop with my laptop. I cane see and access the files on the desktops drive. I have an external hard drive on the desktop and it is shared. I can acess those files as well. I can not change file names on the external hard drive. I get the error message that make sure file is not write protected or in use. The files aree not write protected and they are not in use. Any help pn how I can be able to change files on the desktop computer from my laptop?Change network file names??
On the machine it is connected to, right click the shared drive or folder, in security set everyone to full access, and ensure you let it set the same rights to all it's subfolders and files.Change network file names??
On the desktop computer, go in to computer management (right-click on my computer and click manage). Under shared folders click on open files and check to make sure there aren't any other instances of that file open. You may have had the file open at one time and when you closed it, it didn't close properly. Close any instances of the open file and then try renaming it.