Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I establish a Network/Network Printer?

Okay, so I got this computer, and it's not on any specific network, it's just under my name...

First, I would like to get onto the network that's established between my sister's computer, my dad's, and my brother's, called %26quot;OXFORD%26quot;. I changed my network name to OXFORD, but apparantly that doesn't work. We all print on the laser printer in the office, except me... I can't get it set up. I know it's a simple procedure on 2000ME or XP, but Vista is just... you know.



Thanks for the Help!

AnthonyHow do I establish a Network/Network Printer?
The first thing you have to do is make sure you are a part of the network. If its just a simple workgroup (probable) you need to make sure your workgroup name is the same as all the others. You said OXFORD, so thats probably it. After joining the workgroup, reboot.

After rebooting you need to map the printer just like you would a network drive. Go into control panel and install the printer just like you would on a local printer but instead, browse the network until you find the printer. When prompted to %26quot;save%26quot; that connection say YES. From then on every time you restart the machine it will automatically %26quot;map%26quot; the printer to your machine.