Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the name to my wireless connection and also add a password to it?

When I checked my internet connection, I found out that someone placed their own name (which isn't ours) on our network. Now I need to rename it and also add a password for added security.Help!How do I change the name to my wireless connection and also add a password to it?
go to a browser

type in 19.168.0.1

user name is blank (unless you made one)

password is usually admin



Once in, make a new password.

Then add mac filtering.

get your mac address

start%26gt;run type cmd

then type ipconfig /all

its the physical address.



The if its wireless add a keyword so no one can get on and also dont broadcast your ssid nameHow do I change the name to my wireless connection and also add a password to it?
Go into your router by entering its IP into your browser as if it is a web address (like: http://192.168.1.1)



IF you do not know the IP address, click on Start %26gt; Run %26gt; Type in: cmd

In the window that opens type in: ipconfig

Look for the Default Gateway listing - that will be the router's IP



As you did not list the make and model, I can not give additional step by step - each is different. But you will find a place in there were you can set up the WEP or WPA password, and rename the network. Look around....



You might also want to consider changing the last number in the IP address of your router. They all come with the same IP address, which makes getting into their set up easy. If you change that last number, it is more thing a hacker has to figure out before they can access your router in the future.How do I change the name to my wireless connection and also add a password to it?
Both above answers are good advice.

Also, while in the router's 'Administrative' section, you should disable the 'UPnP', and get any software updates (there should be a tab/button for that).

Set encryption level (for users to access the internet) on WPA and create an industrial strength passphrase for that (note: some older lappers %26amp; cards do not support WPA; use at least WEP however, as a last resort).

Also, 'BM's router interface address should be 192.168.1.1