Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change the name of my wireless network on my mac?

I got a linksys router today. My mac powerbook g4 is conecting to the net through it fine. The name of the network is by default linksys and I want to change it. The problem is the software that came with it is for windows only and there is nothing I can find on their web site. I've got Virtual PC so I guess I could configure it on windows through that. I was just afraid it could screw something and not have the mac os connect to it anymore. Anyway should I do it through VPC/WindowsXP or does anyone know another way to change the name/set password without using windows?How do I change the name of my wireless network on my mac?
my linksys router is http://192.168.15.1/ I can config every single option from Safari or Firefox... no Virtual pc crap needed!



that's the benefit of buying a wireless router from a reputable company! Linksys == cisco == reputable!



work the menus! get to know what options your router has! (USE WPA or WAP or even WEP)!!!!How do I change the name of my wireless network on my mac?
Most current routers (and the linksys is no exception) have a Web access administration page. You'd use your web browser to connect to the same address the Mac shows as its gateway IP address in the Networks system preferences panel. As a web page, it should work whether PC or Mac. Detailed instructions are in the manual that came with the router; if this is unavailable you can download the proper manual from linksys.com. If you are uncomfortable making changes to the linksys configuration (a natural fear if its your only way to get to the Internet) see if you can locate someone knowledgeable nearby to work with you, or take the router to a location where you have an alternate way of connecting to the Internet just in case you get disconnected. I'd also recommend that you write down and be comfortable with the procedure for resetting the router to %26quot;factory defaults%26quot; (the settings as they were set at the factory) in case you mis-set something and lose contact with it.



It's a good idea to rename the network to something specific to you so it will be differentiated from others in your neighborhood with the same router. To enhance your network security, you might also consider disabling SSID broadcast so the name of your network won't automatically appear in a list of local networks, enabling WEP or WPA encryption (depending on what your particular router model supports) and adding your Mac's MAC address (see it in the Networks system preference panel) to the access list on the linksys router. Good luck.How do I change the name of my wireless network on my mac?
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/link