Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change the name of my Home wireless network?

I'm trying to figure out how to name and lock my wireless network cause i'm on dialup and i run slow enough as it is with two computers on it.How do I change the name of my Home wireless network?
Different routers(assuming u use router) has differnt settings. My one does have options to cahnge these settings. U might get some help in the manual for ur router...How do I change the name of my Home wireless network?
It's usually in your router. Most have a web interface to them, and you can probably change it there. To get to the web interface:

1) go to Start -%26gt; Run. When the window opens, type cmd and click ok. That'll launch a command prompt for you. At the command prompt, type ipconfig and hit enter. It'll give you back a bunch of information. One of the things it'll tell you is your IP address. now open a web browser, and go to http://%26lt;yourIPaddress%26gt;, but replace the last octet of the IP address (the number after the last dot) to the number 1. That'll usually be the web interface to your router. For example, if your IP address is 192.168.0.39, then type into the web browser http://192.168.0.1 to get to the web interface