Wednesday, November 24, 2010

For a Ipod to not connect to my linksys what do I need to change as far as router pass/network name/security k?

I need some techie help. I am not really good with the operation of computers. Basically I gave my daughter the passwords to connect her ipod and computer to my Linksys modem. Due to from what I caught with myspace and her being a minor I need control over where she goes for her safety. What would I need to change so a ipod cannot connect anymore to my network modem. And could you please tell me how to do this. I've googled it and my disk says failure to redo the setup all over again. Do I need to reset the IP? First correct answer get the points o.oFor a Ipod to not connect to my linksys what do I need to change as far as router pass/network name/security k?
Hmm, tricky. Frankly the iPod Touch (which I assume you're talking about) is extremely versatile with its network connectivity options. However, you can use something called %26quot;MAC Address Filtering%26quot; to block the specific iPod.



Essentially, every device that can connect to a network of any kind has something called a MAC address, which is tied in with the physical hardware of the device itself and thus cannot be changed. What you need to do is:



1) Take your daughter's iPod.

2) Go to the Settings application (it looks like a set of silver gears)

3) Tap 'General' then 'About' and the MAC address (listed here as %26quot;Wi-Fi address%26quot;) should be there. Write this down, with colons included.



Now I could type out how to log into your Linksys router and block the MAC address, but frankly this link is much faster:



http://www.tekstenuitleg.net/en/articles/networking/wireless-security-guide/mac-address-filtering.html



When it's all said and done, the iPod should no longer be able to connect to the network, no matter what your daughter does. Try it just to be safe though.