Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I change the network interface name (eth0, eth1 things) ?

I have set up a private network to demonstrate Man-In-The-Middle attacking tools. I am using 3 machines. Pc1 is a server, pc2 is an attacker and pc3 is a client. My server has 2 interfaces. Eth0 connects to external gateway and eth1 connects to internal router. By some reason, eth0 has changed it's name to dev22959 and eth1 become eth0. Can anyone tell me how can I change them back please?How can I change the network interface name (eth0, eth1 things) ?
The eth0, eth1 nomenclature says you are using Linux... You didn't say what distro. If it's SuSe, use YAST2.



6/24 Update:



See http://defindit.com/readme_files/netsetu for assistance. I think this will explain what's happening and how to fix.



Also read: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgiHow can I change the network interface name (eth0, eth1 things) ?
I'd unplug that external gateway first.

You may have some unwanted outside help



Just because you are using Linux does not in itself prevent hackers from attacking and taking over your machine. It just makes it a little harder. How you harden your server and what security functions you put in place really decides how %26quot;hacker proof%26quot; a machine is. It's all software, and what one person can design, another person can figure out.



Servers are favorite targets and reprogramming the network interfaces is usually part of taking control of a machine and adding it to a botnet.



Hope I'm wrong



Good Luck