Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I need to security-enable my wireless network...?

Can someone please help me? I know how to get where the options are, I already changed my network name. But, there are about a million different options for security, and I don't know which one is for me.Thanks for your help!I need to security-enable my wireless network...?
ok heres my suggestion DO IN ORDER AS LISTED FOR BEST RESULTS!:



Network Name:

You already did... +1 Kudo Buddy! :D my suggestion is to name it something completely random, like the name of ur perfume or favorite movie (also include numbers) having a random name like posted makes guessing your network name hard for hackers



Encryption:

WPA Personal (or WPA-PSK) [make the password something you can remember, but nothing too simple] DO THIS BEFORE CONNECTING ANYTHING TO THE NETWORK. any computer connected prior to this change needs to be reconfigured. just right click the wifi symbol in the task bar, go to the network settings, change the encryption and password on those computers



SSID Broadcasting:

TURN OFF (this allows other people to see your network) [only turn off AFTER YOU HAVE COMPLETELY CONNECTED ALL OF YOUR WIFI CONNECTIONS TO THE NETWORK!!!]



MAC Filtering:

There are extra options such as specifying which MAC addresses can use the network, but that is for overy psycho people. Doing the above should keep you secure enough.I need to security-enable my wireless network...?
WEP is a standard protection so I would reccomend you switching to WPA that provide better protection than WEP.I need to security-enable my wireless network...?
Exactly how you do it depends on the router, but if you know where the network name etc. is then you're in the right place. You want to switch the security mode to something other than %26quot;none%26quot;! WEP is pretty weak, so I'd go with WPA or WPA2. You might also get other options, like PSK etc. but for home security, those things really don't matter. Once you've changed the security mode, you need to give it a password. This is what you'll have to type when you connect to the network (only the first time, most computers will remember the passwords of networks they've joined before). If you post the specific kind of router, I can give you better directions.
  • Are satin bed sheets warm
  • self employed person
  •