Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the name of my computer?

Ok I know nothing about computers so I am going to try to explain this the best I can. I recently had a computer professional service my computer and he changed the ‘name’ of my computer from a NUMBER to “Jessica”. Please note I am NOT talking about the USER NAME of the account I am logged in to. I am referring to the name/number/address which identifies my machine. For example if a household has multiple computers on a network, they might be named 1.1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.1.3 and 1.1.1.1.4 but to keep track of which machine is which you might just give them simple names. I need to know how to change my computers ‘name’ back to what it was before, because now all my iTunes music and security software is saying that this machine is not authorised/licensed to have that stuff on it. That is, my computer is now being mistaken for a different machine because it has a new name.



ThanksHow do I change the name of my computer?
If you have windows XP:



Right click on %26quot;my computer%26quot; and click on %26quot;properties%26quot;



Click on the %26quot;Computer Name%26quot; tab.



Change it there, and/or click on the %26quot;change%26quot; button and change it there too.



If you want to change your IP, open up %26quot;network connections%26quot;, right click on your connection and go to properties/ under %26quot;internet protocol...%26quot; go to %26quot;properties%26quot; and change it thereHow do I change the name of my computer?
Thanks

Report Abuse

How do I change the name of my computer?
Please tell my your operating system (xp, vista, etc.) and I may be able to helpHow do I change the name of my computer?
Have you tried System restore ??

Start-all progs-accessories-system tools-system restore .. to put your computer in the state before you made the changes, choose a suitable date.How do I change the name of my computer?
if you are talking about host name then right click on My Computer (assuming you're using Windows stuff), click on Properties. A pop-up window will come up, there you'll find the place to change your computer's host name and workgroup name (I guess it's on general tab).How do I change the name of my computer?
depends what you have