Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How can I get Rid of a Wireless Network?

When I first purchased my Router, I made an unsecured wireless network. As time went on, I figured out how to make a secured network. I changed the name of the network, and then secured it. But now thers two networks running off of my router. One is the secured one, and one is the unsecured one. I want to get rid of the unsecured network, how can I do this?How can I get Rid of a Wireless Network?
Well, personnaly I didn't know that was possible. It is possible that your laptop or wireless computer still has the old one in memory but not for your router to have two running!



You probably just need to delete the OLD non-secured one from the network list on your computer. To see what really is available open your wireless network connection and View Available networks.. if only the secured one is shown as being live then that is the only one running.. Now you could have a neighbor running unsecured and if neither of you chanaged the SSID it may appear you still have both running.

To change the SSID log back on to the router, go to the wireless settings and CHANGE IT!.



If you want to see if there is another router using the same name just unplug yours and see if the name is still available. Router mfgs set a default SSID all of them match so always change them!How can I get Rid of a Wireless Network?
That will depend on your router. Check the manual.



If it turns out that there isn't a way to simply delete a network, reset the router back to factory default settings, then set your secure network back up.How can I get Rid of a Wireless Network?
On XP right click on your wireless network connection left click on View Available Wireless Networks click on Change the order of preferred networks select the network that is unsecured and click on remove.